Our comprehensive Marijuana Quiz consists of 30 questions with multiple choice answers to select from. These questions cover a wide range of topics related to cannabis, including questions about marijuana addiction, potency, history, political status and much more. As you look through the potential multiple choice answers, you’ll find that you might know some of these answers, but few will know all of them. Once you’ve chosen an answer, click the black toggle switch to check your answer. All information and answers published on the marijuana quiz contain links and references for the source material used to create each part of the quiz. Challengers, please write in with your citations. This marijuana quiz is sufficient for educational and activist purposes and can be share with attribution to MarijuanaGames.org.
Question #1: Is marijuana addictive?
- Yes, marijuana dependency occurs in some users
- No, addiction to marijuana is not possible
- Yes, but only psychological addiction
Marijuana Dependence and Its Treatment Addict Sci Clin Pract. 2007 December; 4(1): 4–16. PMCID: PMC2797098 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2797098/
Effects of THC and lofexidine in a human laboratory model of marijuana withdrawal and relapse. College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University
Psychopharmacology (Berl). 2008 Mar;197(1):157-68. Epub 2007 Dec 27.
Relapse in outpatient treatment for marijuana dependence
Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment Volume 25, Issue 2 , Pages 85-89, September 2003 02/07/2003 http://www.journalofsubstanceabusetreatment.com/article/S0740-5472(03)00083-7/abstract
Question #2: How many people are in U.S. prisons for non-violent marijuana-related offenses?
- 1.4 million
State and Federal Marijuana Prisoners
Top 10 Marijuana Myths and Facts
Question #3: What are the maximum U.S. federal sentencing guidelines for a first-time offense of possession of any amount of marijuana?
- 5 years in prison and $5,000 in fines
- 3 months in jail and $300 in fines
- Small amounts of marijuana have no sentencing guidelines in the U.S.
- 1 year in prison and $1,000 in fines
Question #4: Does holding your hit longer get you higher?
- Yes – This is true
- No- This is false
Question #5: What is the safest way to use marijuana?
- A bong with ice and cold water
- Joint or blunt in natural wraps
- Direct consumption – eating marijuana products
- Smoking – pipes
National Cannabis Prevention and Information Center
Americans for Safe Access – Guide to Using Medical Cannabis
Question #6: Is it Legal to Use/Possess Marijuana in Amsterdam, The Netherlands for recreational purposes?
- Yes with certain restrictions
Legality of Cannabis by Country
Selling soft drugs is not a right even in the Netherlands
European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Addiction
Question #7: Is it Legal to Use/Possess Marijuana in Jamaica for recreational purposes?
- No – Marijuana is NOT legal
- Yes – Marijuana is Legal
- It is Legal in Some Areas of the Country
Question #8: Is it legal to use/possess marijuana in Spain for recreational purposes?
- Yes – Marijuana is Legal in Spain
- No – Marijuana is NOT legal in Spain
- Yes – But there are some conditions
United Nations Drug Control
Cannabis clubs plug a gap in Spanish drugs laws
Question #9: Are religious uses of cannabis permitted in the United States?
- No, religious use of marijuana is not permitted in the U.S.
- Yes, religious use of marijuana is permitted in the U.S.
- Yes, religious use is permitted but at this time is limited to Rastafarians
Marijuana Legal Organization
Hawaii Tribune Herald
Question #10: Can smoking pot regularly lead to cancer?
- Yes, smoking pot has been linked to cancer
- No, there is no link between smoking pot and developing cancer
- There are insufficient studies/research to make an accurate determination
National Cancer Institute
Journal of Thoracic Oncology
Journal of Psychoactive Drugs
International Agency for Research on Cancer
JAMA Internal Medicine
Question #11: Can smoking pot regularly lead to damaged reproductive function in men?
- Inconclusive – not enough studies exist
The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 90(2):984 –991
Recreational Drug Use and the Risk of Primary Infertility
Sperm from Marijuana Smokers Move Too Fast Too Early, Impairing Fertility, UB Research Shows
Question #12: Why does using marijuana cause an increased appetite?
- Dilates blood vessels leading to increased call for energy = hunger
- Activates CB1 receptors & regulates insulin
- Stimulates subconscious memories of food and eating
- Marijuana use causes dehydration that is misinterpreted by the body as hunger
Cannabis and ?9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for weight loss?
The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults
Marijuana Users Have Better Blood Sugar Control
Question #13: Is it possible to fatally overdose on marijuana?
- Yes, overdose is possible on marijuana
- No, a marijuana overdose is not possible
- Yes, but only when mixed with other substances
The Science of Marijuana, Leslie L. Iversen
Marijuana and Medicine
Question #14: Can cannabis plants produce male flowers even once clearly sexed as a female?
- Yes, a female plant can produce both male and female reproductive parts
- No, a female plant once sexed cannot produce male flowers
- Yes, a female plant can produce male flowers, but only if exposed to male pollen
Hermaphrodites | Dutch Passion Seed Company
Question #15: Properly stored, how long will cannabis seeds remain viable?
- 6-9 months
- 12 months
- 3-5 years
- 10-20 years
- More than 25 years
Amsterdam Marijuana Seed Bank
Scientists have grown an extinct tree from ancient seeds
32,000-Year-Old Plant Brought Back to Life
Journal of Experimental Botany
Question #16: Can cannabis seed oil power machinery?
- Yes, but only as a novelty
The Future of Hemp in BC Conference 1997
Question #17: Can marijuana use by pregnant women harm their unborn babies?
- Yes, marijuana use harms unborn babies
- No, marijuana does not harm unborn babies
- Inconclusive – there is not enough research or data to answer question accurately
National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre
Question #18: Is it possible to get a “Contact High?”
- No, a contact high is not possible without smoking or direct ingestion
- Yes, a contact high is possible even without smoking or ingestion
- Yes, but contact highs only occur in non-conditioned people
Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics
Question #19: Cannabis is a member of what plant family?
- C. Sativa
- C. Indica
- Humulus lupulus
- Humorous Answericus
Rosales – CANNABACEAE
American Journal of Botany
Question #20: What is the primary chemical difference between C. Indica and C. Sativa?
- THC vs. CBD chemical composition
- Ruderalis vs. Cannabacaea chemical composition
- Indica has no THC content
American Journal of Botany
Medical Marijuana – ProCon
Question #21: Where did the cannabis plant originate?
- Equatorial South America
- C. Sativa and C. Indica originated in different places
- Inconclusive – Not enough supporting data
Marijuana Grower’s Guide
Question #22: How long have humans been using marijuana?
- More than 10,000 years
- Approximately 4,700 years
- Since the late 1800’s
- Medical marijuana is a recent development beginning this century
- Since Roman times
- Approximately 2,500 years
Prescription Ethics – Medical Marijuana
Question #23: What is the primary psychoactive substance found in marijuana?
- Non-Oxynol-9 NO9
Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Cannabinoids
Cannabis and Cannabis Extracts
Question #24: When was marijuana officially made illegal for non-medical use in the United States?
The Marihuana Tax Act of 1937
Harrison Narcotics Tax Act
Question #25: What is the average THC content of modern marijuana available on the illicit markets?
Cannabis Potency by Year
National Institute on Drug Abuse
CNN – Is super weed, super bad?
Question #26: Is marijuana smoke as dangerous as tobacco smoke?
- No, marijuana smoke is not as dangerous as tobacco smoke
- Yes, marijuana smoke is as dangerous as tobacco smoke
- Marijuana smoke has been found to be MORE dangerous than tobacco smoke
- It depends on the variety of marijuana being smoked
Harm Reduction Journal
Cancer Health Center WebMD
Question #27: What % of countries worldwide permit personal possession of marijuana through legalization, decriminalization, or tolerance?
Legality of Cannabis by Country
Question #28: How long is marijuana detectable in a person’s body?
- 30 days
- 3-5 days
- 2-3 months
- Depends on the person
- Depends on medium tested – hair, urine, blood
- 2-3 weeks
The Department of Health | NHS
Question #29: Do male cannabis plants produce THC?
- Yes, male plants contain usable levels of THC
- No, male cannabis plants contain zero THC
- Yes, males plants contain trace amounts of THC but not enough to be used
- No, male plants are opposite female plants and so only produce lower cannabinoids
Erowid: When to Harvet | Maturity and THC
***Many internet forums contain reports of substantial numbers of people using the leaves and stalks of male marijuana plants to make foods and products containing active THC.
Question #30: What is the difference between hemp and marijuana?
- The primary difference is that hemp does not produce THC
- Hemp and marijuana come from two different plant families
- Hemp does not produce flowering buds
- The primary difference is in the application; hemp uses fiber, marijuana uses female flowers
North American Industrial Hemp Council
How’d you do? Do you have questions or suggestions for the marijuana quiz? Want to rebut or challenge anything in the quiz? Then please use our contact form to let us know, and be sure to include reference materials or we probably will just put your message in the recycle bin. Looking for more marijuana-related entertainment? Then why not head on over to our Marijuana Games page, and try your hand at Stoned Mario or Stoned Pacman for free. If you’re more research-oriented, consider checking out our marijuana blog, marijuana strain reviews, cannabis club reviews, or our huge marijuana directory. We hope you enjoyed the marijuana quiz and look forward to hearing from you about it.